Sign in to follow this  
Eva Keogan

#SheMeansBusiness

Eva Keogan

Facebook is holding its #SheMeansBusiness conference tomorrow so will report back on anything relevant - it's interesting to see a social network take the high ground when it comes to promoting women in business

home-banner.jpg
SHEMEANSBUSINESS.FB.COM

Join Facebook in celebrating women entrepreneurs. Go to shemeansbusiness.fb.com to tell your friends about a woman-owned business you know.

• Like 1

Eva Keogan

I promised I would share any useful information from yesterday's event. One of the speakers yesterday gave a very powerful speech - Melanie has had an amazing career. She started out in Financial Services and did a stint at EY and is now Founder and Chair of The Black British Business Awards among other things. She is proof positive that if something doesn't exist - go create - and definitely a positive role model for diversity in business. Interestingly, she was happy to talk about set backs and one in particular made me shudder - she was a guest on the BBC talking about women and wealth management and once off air found herself under fire on Twitter - the verbal assaults included personal comments, racial comments, rape and death threats. She stopped doing TV. Months later a young black woman approached her to thank her for what she said on the programme and this changed her mind. What's so shocking about this story is a) how easy it is to get put off b) people are being attacked this way in public fora c) people are getting away with this kind of behaviour and finally d) that successful people have to build not just a very thick skin but a huge amount of resilience in the face adversity. Melanie's message to us all was to have a support base and ground yourself - interesting advice. I think all in all, this demonstrates the case for a stronger diversity movement and real stories. 

High-Res-Purple-Dress-1.jpg
MELANIEEUSEBE.COM

• Like 2

Luuk Jacobs

Yes it is far to easy to criticise on social media, as to often it remains unanimous and "they" just do not have to look the other in the eyes when the assault is delivered. Makes me reflect every time again of "THINK" (is it True, Helpful, Inspiring, Necessary, Kind) before you write something on social media.

Andy Milner

Thanks for sharing @Eva Keogan

Sign in to follow this  
  • Related Content

• Luuk Jacobs
      By Luuk Jacobs
      https://wersm.com/new-campaign-highlights-soaring-gender-inequality-in-london/

Worth looking at the video in this article. Yes it shows the facts but equally it only confirms what we already know. It would in my view been equally or more powerful to turn the tables and let the men feel what it means to be held back in the climb up ....... maybe then the change would be quicker
    • Andy Milner
      By Andy Milner
      Good to see women recognised in a wide spectrum of roles and companies, and with a concentration within financial services including Charlotte Willis @ Schroders and Sophie Wihlborn @ Fidelity.

TechWomen100 Awards | Winners 2018
      WEARETECHWOMEN.WEARETHECITY.COM WeAreTechWomen is proud to announce the winners of the 2018 TechWomen100 Awards. The winners of these awards showcases remarkable women within the technology sector covering a wide range...  
    • Andy Milner
      By Andy Milner
      As part of the Innovate Finance’s Women in FinTech initiative, we will be hosting the second of our series of four one hour workshops on “Hiring Strong” in association with Equality Group looking at:Interview Success: training, structure and candidate experience.

This session will take place over lunchtime on Thursday 13th December.

Contact us at wif@innovatefinance.com to express your interest in attending this event.

Women in FinTech Workshop: Hiring Strong with Equality Group - Innovate Finance – The Voice of Global FinTech
      WWW.INNOVATEFINANCE.COM As part of the Innovate Finance’s Women in FinTech initiative, we will be hosting the second of our series of four one hour workshops on “Hiring Strong” in association with Equality Group looking at:Interview Success:...  

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience. If you continue, we’ll assume you are happy with this. For further information, see our Privacy Policy.