Sign in to follow this  
Eva Keogan

World Mental Health Day

Luuk Jacobs

I recently read an article in which a woman explained that as a manager she had decided to attend a 1 year coaching course as she saw to many people issues in her workplace that if not approached well could easily lead to mental health issues or simple not well being in the workplace. She thinks that as a manager being trained as a coach could significantly support staff in functioning well together. I must say I subscribe to it and bringing in coaching in management courses would absolutely help to address mental well being in the workplace. Preventing might be here also better than curing. 

• Like 1

Become a member to read more and join the discussion

Members can read and contribute to discussions

Apply

Register now for free access.

Create your account

Sign in

Already a member? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  
  • Related Content

• Chris Freeman
      By Chris Freeman
      There has been a lot written about what we can do for people suffering from mental health issues, but I always felt that the advice while good was missing something. This is my small attempt to round the advice out a little:

1. Be a Friend
      This has been covered in lots of other posts - just be there for someone who may be struggling. You don’t have to be their therapist, just have a chat.

Insight: They may seem OK and happy and smiling, but they may have had to put a lot of effort into just meeting and maybe wiped out after. Don’t let this put you off, but it does link into the next point.

2. Care for a carer
      This may be the husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, brother, sister or children (even adult ones) or just a friend of the one they are caring for.

They will just need to get away from it all and talk about or do something normal or offload their frustrations. Just be a friend.

Insight: They pick up the pieces on a daily basis, sometime its good, sometimes not so good. The one they care for may have met a friend (good), but now they are wiped out, or just struggling (not so good), the carer will then spend their time looking after them putting their own wellbeing to one side. Or they may be caring for someone in hospital (mental health ward) or who have just been released; both of these are stressful in their own ways.

3. Just say hello
      We have all been held up at the station with the announcement ‘someone on the line’, which we all know what this actually means.

If you see someone who doesn’t seem quite there, just say ‘hello’. It may be all they need to bring them back from the brink and give a chance for those around you to get help.

Insight: I missed an opportunity to do this walking over Blackfriars Bridge one night and will always regret not stopping just to say hello.

The above is not going to solve the mental health problems of the nation, but every little bit of support will help in some way.
    • Colin Ng
      By Colin Ng
      'Be ready to think about the 10-15 year view of the industry and be a part of that change'. Many other insights from this recent interview he gave to the Square Mile:
      1) Mass personalisation of investments & tokenisation to increase accessibility and liquidity
      2) Portfolios of the future will be a blend of public and private investments. Public companies are shrinking/consolidating. There is much potential to unlock in the private space
      3) Sustainable investing and ESG funds will grow in demand as next generation of investors will want their money to go further to make more positive societal impacts
      4) Diversity of thought is business-critical - solving problems is best done in a more diverse group
      5) Mental Health in the city is bigger problem than anticipated. We need to foster a culture (top-down) where it is ok to talk about it and support each other

On top of that, he exhibited much humility. Must Watch IMHO! 
    • Andy Milner
      By Andy Milner
      Today is Time to Talk Day 2019, an initiative designed to encourage everyone to talk about mental health. We all know people that have been impacted by mental health issues of varying degrees, so initiatives like this are very positive.

Time to Talk Day 2019 | Time To Change
      WWW.TIME-TO-CHANGE.ORG.UK  

• Luuk Jacobs
      By Luuk Jacobs
      Google staff walk out over women's treatment
      WWW.BBC.CO.UK A huge payout for an executive accused of sexual misconduct provokes an unprecedented protest.  
      Not exactly what I would have expected from a company like Google. My perception has always been that it is a company that is as much on the forefront of technology development as it is on equal rights, diversity, inclusion, etc. 
      It remains exemplary that they have published figures as to how many employees have been fired for sexual harassment. However the mentioned clause in employees contract to keep the judgement behind closed internal doors is worrying and gives to me the impression of being as a company above the law. Yes it is reasonable that (sexual) harassment claims are initially discussed/heart internally (the accused has his/her rights as well), however the forced arbitration without appeal against the decision sounds to me not right. 
Debug info for admin:
appforums
moduleforums
controllertopic
topics/forum ID63
page ID
PHP user agentCCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/)

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience. If you continue, we’ll assume you are happy with this. For further information, see our Privacy Policy.