Sign in to follow this  
Andy Milner

Hiring managers asking existing salary

Andy Milner

Amazon and Bank of America have joined Google, Facebook, Amex, Wells Fargo and Cisco is banning asking for previous salaries even where it's not (yet) forbidden by state law.

It doesn't seem that any of these organisations are currently extending this outside of the US as far as I can tell - that would be an interesting step as it would likely indicate that they are seeing benefits (or at least a lack of impact) from the change, rather than just reducing administrative overhead in managing different policies across US states.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bna.com%2FuploadedImag
WWW.BNA.COM

<p>Job applicants at Amazon’s second headquarters won’t be asked to divulge their salary history during the application process, as the Seattle-based tech giant recently decided to ban the inquiries.</p>

Here's a good summary of what Amazon are doing:

• Amazon has forbidden hiring managers from asking job applicants about their pay history, Buzzfeed reports.
  • The policy took effect Jan. 1 and is in direct response to the 13 salary history bans adopted at the state and local level. "Amazon is taking a proactive stance to be consistent for all candidates residing in, or applying to jobs in, the United States," it told hiring managers in a memo.
  • The company is banning direct and indirect questions about current or previous base pay, equity compensation, bonuses, benefits and variable pay. Hiring managers also may not consider salary history, even if an applicant volunteers the information. Likewise, they may not use LinkedIn Recruiter or similar tools to estimate or obtain someone's salary history, Buzzfeed says.

86b95feebc93fb721a12326e351c7314.jpg
WWW.HRDIVE.COM

As more state and local governments ban pay history questions, some employers are opting to preemptively prohibit such inquiries internally.

Andy Milner

@Eva Keogan that brings to mind another discussion on the Community around pay transparency and the rather radical way that they do it in Finland!!

Eva Keogan

Great to hear @Jonathanmax your friend had a salary increase - but in reality she's been underpaid by 40% for her whole career!

It seems regulation is not really working at the pace it should. I think the industry should consider some kind of pay grading system and even go as far as reimbursement. 

So on that basis, when it comes to asking about pay levels, it would be more appropriate for candidates to be proactive as well. 

We have been reading more news about the widening Gender Pay Gap in the City, as well as the bonus gap. Blackrock has reduced their gap by 5% down to 23% and says this is largely due to a “gender distribution imbalance” - perhaps a bit of plain English could be put to use here, and some clear steps as to what the next steps are which will be taken because it's still way off target. 

FN-AG266_FN_BLA_M_20190213040811.jpg
WWW.FNLONDON.COM

Progress puts BlackRock ahead of some of the City’s largest firms, which have failed to improve disparity in the past year

Andy Milner

@Jonathan Max - that’s a great result for her!

Something we haven’t touched on directly here (and probably hasn’t been discussed enough) is the racial pay gap.

Although this article is from the US and not industry specific, it quotes that Latina women are paid 46% less than white men (vs 20% for women generally).

104451311-GettyImages-466086690.1910x100
WWW.CNBC.COM

In a growing number of places, it's illegal to ask about salary history.

The question is also likely to disadvantage people moving into the industry or rejoining after career breaks.

Jonathan Max

I was speaking with a female professional with Asset Management the other day; who was enjoying a well earned period of gardening leave and looking forward to joining a large asset manager.

She received ~40% increase on base salary......the company confirmed the level was set due to the requirements of the role and not what her salary was at her previous firm; the latter (strangely enough) was well under the size required for GPG!

Andy Milner

I've been trying to track down details on that statement from the CBI, but I'm not sure they elaborated on what the "unintended consequences" could be - I assume one could be wage inflation due to reduction in the negotiation advantage of the employer.

Whether this is a bad thing is debatable when (by some measures) wage growth has been stagnant in the UK for longer than any time since the Napoleonic wars..

_98402374_black_napolenic_quote-nc.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Reality Check examines the claim that real-wage growth is at its worst since the 18th Century.

Eva Keogan

There are multiple points to consider and this article covers it well - including exacerbating GPG - not sure I agreed with this part though - 'CBI warned that silencing discussions on pay at recruitment stage could have “unintended consequences”.'

salary-gender-pay-gap.jpg
WWW.PERSONNELTODAY.COM

Employers that ask candidates their current salary are partly to blame for the gender pay gap, according to the Young Women’s Trust. Gender pay gap Widen gender pay gap reporting to firms with over 50 staff, say MPs Gender pay gap: PWC bans male-only candidate shortlists In a YouGov survey of employers, the charity found …
Read more  

Luuk Jacobs

I am a bit at odds here as I believe if the candidate has proven through the interview that (s)he can do the job and has all the relevant skills and experience, that should be the main reason for offering the job. The current salary should, as Jonathan mentioned,  only be checked to ensure that it is not the only motivating factor for wanting a job.  Equally it should be considered that the change in position should be a step up for the candidate (and not just the same job and another company in which a significant salary increase would just create “inflation”) and the associated salary a recognition of that

Jonathan Max

Thanks @Andy Milner

I still think it is important to ask about current salary to understand push and pull factors for an candidate's interest in a role. When the balance of motivations is weighed too heavily around compensation then, in my experience, this is more likely to end badly!

What is extremely important however, is that organisation's pay what the role is worth rather than the minimum amount they get get away with paying! In the recruitment process it is vital to look at compensation in the round and in the context of an individuals' skills and experience. I have advocated significant increases in salary when it the right thing to do; similarly, for a range of reasons sometimes flat / marginal uptick is the right decision.

Andy Milner

I have always struggled to see a fair reason why employers should be allowed to ask about a potential hire’s current remuneration, other than to give them an advantage in pay negotiations.

It’s something which can only exacerbate existing pay inequalities and  it’s abolishment can surely only be a positive thing.

Here the Guardian argues specifically about its impact with regards to the gender pay gap:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/23/gender-pay-gap-current-salary-question

I believe this has already been outlawed in some US states?

@Jonathan Max - would be interesting to hear the view from HR. 

Become a member to read more and join the discussion

Members can read and contribute to discussions

Apply

Register now for free access.

Create your account

Sign in

Already a member? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  
  • Related Content

• Luuk Jacobs
      By Luuk Jacobs
      I remember growing up in a small city in the south of the Netherlands. Despite the international reputation of the Netherlands being open, diverse and a melting pot of cultures, my growing up was very much defined by white, Caucasian and countryside culture. Any other cultural aspects of life would come via the TV set with either Dutch programmes or majority soaps from the US or UK. All in all, you can hardly call this cultural diversity.

It started to change when at 18 I went to university, although even that remained very much in the same setting but clearly diversity of thought started to be formed and the background of fellow students was very different from when I grew up. I was in the end the 1st in my family to go to university.

The real significant step towards more cultural diversity came when one day a friend asked me to join for an introduction to AIESEC, a student organisation that was brokering traineeships abroad. By the end of the afternoon I had signed up and a week later filled out all the forms. Suddenly the realisation that I would go for 6 months to live in a country that would be English or German speaking; these were the language I had been exposed to in my study, I would definitely not say that I mastered them. What would this bring me, how would I adjust myself, my life that concentrated around family, sports and study would be turned upside down.

Then the letter came (yes sorry no emails yet in those times) that I was matched to a traineeship in Freiburg in Germany. So, I better upgrade my language skills to survive.

Many years later I know that this change in my life opened a door to me to be exposed to a multi-cultural diversity that I cherish today. I spent the 6 months traineeship in Germany, learned to speak the language fluently (drop me in the sea and I will swim), I got to know many new people that remain friends till today. I however also discovered the love of travelling and meeting new people, speak to them, getting to know new countries and their cultures and most importantly understanding cultural diversity and the beauty of it.

I am very fortunate having built up friendships with literally people from all over the world. We might not see each other every year but luckily social media enables us to stay “in touch” and see what we are all up to. It all culminated in my big wedding day with friends from over 20 countries being present.

Equally important it has given me great skills in my professional environment, listen to others, understanding their cultural diversity, tapping into it and making it an extra value in the solution we create for our client.

Without having stepped out of my comfort zone in my early 20’s and embracing the opportunity to meet people from all walks of life, has, I like to believe, made me the person I am and has enriched my life with the cultural diversity I enjoy every day.

Almost needless to say, the moral of this story is to go out there and discover the beauty of cultural diversity than can be as well just around you (especially in London) or in the many corners of this world.
    • Eva Keogan
      By Eva Keogan
      Direct quote from Investment Week: The number of firms in the UK reporting their Gender Pay Gap (GPG) figures by the deadline has fallen by more than a thousand, amid claims firms have restructured businesses or transferred staff to avoid being obliged to report, or have ditched reporting altogether under the perception they will not face repercussions.

Is anyone working for a company which has done this? Is it time to name and shame as has been threatened before? Your thoughts are welcome.

This is quite worrying to read and it's not just Investment Week which has reported on this but to down size companies so they are below the 250-person threshold for reporting is incredibly cynical. Has anyone found evidence of this? Also, using Brexit as a smokescreen is not going to wash next year.

Gender pay gap reporting falls as asset managers unveil mixed results
      WWW.INVESTMENTWEEK.CO.UK More than 1,000 fewer firms reveal figures  
    • Colin Ng
      By Colin Ng
      Google for Startups will host a Pride celebration featuring a panel of entrepreneurs who have founded LGBTQ businesses. (Event organised by Google for Startups)

http://seriesq.com/
    • Colin Ng
      By Colin Ng
      Wednesday 26th June at Huckletree Shoreditch.
      Join the Series Q conversation with two founders, followed by connecting drinks. (Organised by Series Q)

http://seriesq.com/
    • Luuk Jacobs
      By Luuk Jacobs
      The Investment Association just published their report "CLOSING THE GAP: ADDRESSING THE GENDER PAY GAP" which in part 3 looks at the "Industry Initiatives for Change". A very welcome publication that gives a good summary of what our industry (although I would think any industry) can do to close the gap, concentrated around:
      Attraction and recruitment; Retention and advancement; and Monitoring  
      When reading it, I still come away with the feeling that it does not go beyond the standard and is not necessarily addressing cultural issues as indicated in my earlier blog or is moving away from the beaten path.    
      20190327-genderpaygapreport.pdf
Debug info for admin:
appforums
moduleforums
controllertopic
topics/forum ID48
page ID
PHP user agentCCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/)

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience. If you continue, we’ll assume you are happy with this. For further information, see our Privacy Policy.