Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Max

International Women's Day

Luuk Jacobs

As Helena Morrissey states, the 2019 GPG reporting is likely to show that the gaps will be widening especially in the investment management industry. Is this a surprise and should we be worried that all the attention that is given to diversity and gender equality is not delivering the results aimed for ? Or even worse is there a certain diversity fatigue creeping in?

I believe that it is at least partially part of a normal process of "culture" change and the industry is only just waking up to the fact that the position of women (and other minorities) is as bad as the reports shows. As mentioned in a blog last year "It gets worse before it gets better", the structural changes that need to be made to improve on the GPG reporting will take time and at this stage we probably should be more looking at the measures that are taken by companies to improve the GPG in their companies. If we would see that there are serious programmes designed to improve the opportunities of women in companies and that the participation of women in these programmes is significant, I believe that only then we will start seeing slow improvements in the GPG reporting.

We should however also not forget that we can already visibly improve the situation right now by appointing women in more senior positions as I can not imagine that the talent is not there. The fact that the number of women in the top positions of companies in the FTSE500 has gone down in the last year is simply disappointing and needs to be called out.

As Helena Morrissey states: "Diversity fatigue is actually a thing – before we have even got much diversity. Let’s talk about talent, about results, about performance, about future-proofing our businesses. Let’s put in place (fully, not half-hearted efforts) smart, agile working practices. Let’s talk at schools and universities up and down the country about what it is we actually do, and let’s listen to what is being experienced by women in our industry."

If we achieve that, there lye many years of celebration of diversity ahead of us.

Become a member to read more and join the discussion

Members can read and contribute to discussions

Join us

Register now for free access.

Create your account

Sign in

Already a member? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  
  • Related Content

• Eva Keogan
      By Eva Keogan
      Nominations revealed for the 2019 Women in Investment Awards
      WWW.INVESTMENTWEEK.CO.UK Over 1,300 nominations received Great to see a long list of nominees here!
    • Rob Carter
      By Rob Carter
      Brexit, MiFID II, GDPR, Gender Pay Gap and Diversity are the themes we consider top of mind currently which is why we’ve created the Summer 2018 AlgoMe Industry Pulse Report.

We wanted to get under the skin of some of these key events and burning issues for 2018. In doing so, we revealed some very interesting results and statistics.

Given a choice of 7 cities, Dublin, Paris and Amsterdam are the top three choices for Asset Managers, Fintech and Financial Services employees to relocate to following Brexit. While 54% would not consider moving as a result of Brexit.

When it comes to regulation; we are not surprised to find MiFID II and GDPR will affect over 60% of the roles in the industry.
      Positively, 59% believe Gender Pay Gap Reporting will improve the career progression of women.

Please read the report for the full information and do get in touch if you would like to know more about your industry workforce.

Rob Carter, CEO, AlgoMe
    • Eva Keogan
      By Eva Keogan
      My question for the community: Is the narrative, or lack of it, in the media around high profile professional women causing us harm? 
      The reason I"m asking is triggered by the JP Morgan leadership race earlier this month.

While April has seen a lot of Gender Pay Gap reporting, there is another high profile story which has caught my eye but for all the wrong reasons. It is really interesting to see how the US narrative around women differs from the UK. However, the reason I'm putting Forbes, WSJ and Daily Mail together is I'm extremely surprised to find the UK business press did not mention this story at all, which was a major oversight in itself.

So here is the example I am using to illustrate this - the JP Morgan story about its next CEO and how the two front runners are referred to: Forbes and WSJ are supportive while the Daily Mail is focusing on 'single motherhood' - is this necessary to identify a high level executive this way? It comes across as particularly snide and unnecessary but why didn't other publications cover it over here? Let me know your thoughts 

Have a look at these three articles....
      Forbes sees women as leaders, WSJ as successors and the Daily Mail as single mother of three.

1. Two women executives leading

The Two Women Executives Leading JPMorgan Chase Into The Future
      WWW.FORBES.COM Marianne Lake and Jennifer Piepszak, the two women executives leading JPMorgan Chase into the future in two new two leadership roles and as potential successors to CEO James Dimon.  

2. Wall Street Journal - women with decades of experience

Two Female Executives Top Short List for Next JPMorgan Chief
      WWW.WSJ.COM JPMorgan Chase put two women with decades of experience at the bank at the top of the list to one day succeed James Dimon as chief executive.  
      3. Daily Mail - a single mother of three

'First woman of Wall St' could be new boss of JPMorgan | Daily Mail Online
      WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK British-born Marianne Lake, 48, a single mother of three dubbed the 'first woman of Wall Street' has been tipped as a contender to succeed CEO James Dimon at JPMorgan Chase.  

Debug info for admin:
appforums
moduleforums
controllertopic
topics/forum ID182
page ID
PHP user agentCCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/)

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience. If you continue, we’ll assume you are happy with this. For further information, see our Privacy Policy.