Sign in to follow this  
Andy Milner

Tech skills - comparison across cities

Andy Milner

Here is a really interesting breakdown from Stack Overflow that shows the most in use (or at least talked about) technologies across 4 different cities - London, New York, San Francisco and Bangalore.

It shows that in New York, and in particular London, skills on Microsoft platforms are a lot more dominant - presumably because of their association with Financial Services.

Thanks to @Ruben Lara for sharing this with me.

iStock-911963984.jpg
STACKOVERFLOW.BLOG

When I tell someone Stack Overflow is based in New York City, they’re often surprised: many people assume it’s in San Francisco. (I’ve even seen job applications with “I’m in New York, but willing to relocate to San...

• Like 1

Become a member to read more and join the discussion

Members can read and contribute to discussions

Join us

Register now for free access.

Create your account

Sign in

Already a member? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  
  • Related Content

• Luuk Jacobs
      By Luuk Jacobs
      Clearly a great laugh and equally some great lessons in it

• Luuk Jacobs
      By Luuk Jacobs
      The adoption of FinTech will bring significant changes for the future of Investment Management - from which products are offered to clients and how they are delivered, to the overall structure of the Industry itself. This level of disruption will also impact the future careers of the individuals working in or entering the Industry today.

According to the European Fund and Asset Management Association (EFAMA), there are 610,000 professionals employed directly or indirectly across Europe in the Investment Management ecosystem, with over 100,000 in the UK. Which of these roles could disappear over the next couple of years, where are the opportunities and how should you navigate the disruption?

In our latest report, The Disrupted Career: FinTech, Innovation and the Future of Careers in Investment Management, we explore how FinTech is changing careers across the industry, and how professionals are being impacted by and are responding to these changes.

DOWNLOAD THE REPORT

Disrupted Career Paths

Our report found that very few areas within Investment Management will not be impacted by technological change; the career paths of the future will be radically different. 

Professionals will need to embrace a more flexible approach to career planning. In addition, future job growth and progression opportunities will be concentrated in FinTech and in roles driving innovation in existing Investment Management functions.

Will We All Be Coders?

Many professionals will need to develop more technical skills, and not just in traditional technology roles. Even where ‘hard’ skills around coding, AI and data science will not be important, there will be an expectation that professionals will have a more holistic view of how technology underpins the business.

However, this will not negate the importance of soft skills, and blending skill-sets will be critical for the most successful teams and individuals.

With the industry expecting strong growth with a target of doubling of AUM over the next decade, those who position themselves to embrace the coming changes can look forward exciting opportunities.

To find out more, please read the full report.

DOWNLOAD THE REPORT
    • Luuk Jacobs
      By Luuk Jacobs
      The Disrupted Career

Welcome To The AlgoMe Report On FinTech, Innovation And The Future Of Careers In Investment Management

This report aims to address key questions that are important to everyone working in or looking to join the Investment Management Industry.

How significant will the impact of FinTech be on career paths? How likely is my current role to be affected? Where are the opportunities in this disruption? How can I best position myself for future success?  
      We asked a panel of Investment Industry professionals their views.

The full report is available for download to all AlgoMe Community members. Not already joined? Becoming a member takes less than a minute.
    • Luuk Jacobs
      By Luuk Jacobs
      The FCA published last week it's Research Agenda for 2019 (2019 fca-research-agenda.pdf). Their focus will be on
      household finance and consumer behaviour
      household finance and consumer behaviour securities markets: microstructure, integrity and stability competition, innovation, and firm behaviour and culture technology, big data, and artificial intelligence regulatory efficiency and effectiveness  
      The 3rd objective seems to bring the discussion previously focussed on pricing in general to the more sophisticated pricing which increasingly uses technology and big data to set prices, and often use predictive analytics to personalise prices. 

The 4th objective aims to better understand how the developments in technology, big data, and artificial intelligence are shifting market economics, the resulting benefits and harms and implications for regulation.

All this with the aim to ensure that their regulatory interventions achieve their objectives of making efficient use of their and industry’s resources. From an external perspective, they want to achieve a regulatory regime that promotes and supports effective financial markets while minimising their costs to society.

I am looking forward to their research outcomes and the future regulations that is designed on the back of it
    • Luuk Jacobs
      By Luuk Jacobs
      This article shows very well as to what data you "give away" when using apps on your phone and clearly also how others make money with it (just in case you believe in the myth that the Internet or Apps are for free).

Not everyone is using / selling your data and numerous apps need your location to work. However as we all install apps without readings the T&Cs its worthwhile every now and again to review what permissions you have given to your data.

Equally you can protect yourself to it by changing some of the settings on your phone.

Now you see me, Now you don’t…… – Innovation Today
      INNOVATIONTODAY.WORDPRESS.COM Have you ever wondered how targeted advertising works or even how by magic your phone seems to know more about you than you have shared? Data forms the backbone of the new location economy and you...  
Debug info for admin:
appforums
moduleforums
controllertopic
topics/forum ID141
page ID
PHP user agentCCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/)

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience. If you continue, we’ll assume you are happy with this. For further information, see our Privacy Policy.